Monday, April 14, 2014

J.Crew Listens To Customer To Bring Back A Favorite

"Thanks!" to  Sommer, as well as GigisGoneShopping (in this post), who shared the following article from AdWeek (click here to read in its entirety) with us:
J.Crew Brings Back a Discontinued Swimsuit Just Because One Superfan Asked Nicely 'Your wish is my command'
By Rebecca Cullers
April 9, 2014

Open letters to brands rarely work, though it might help your odds of success if you happen to be a fashion writer for New York magazine and The Wall Street Journal.

Last August, freelance writer Jenni Avins penned an impassioned plea in New York magazine's The Cut blog, asking J.Crew to bring back its scoop back tank swimsuit.

"What I want is smooth, taut fabric that stretches from my shoulders over my chest and ribcage, with hip-high leg holes and an open back to expose my skin to sand, sunshine, and seawater. I want it available in evocatively named colors like hibiscus, marine, and bottle green (in black, it's simply unstoppable.)"

The letter touched the fashionable heart of J.Crew creative director Jenna Lyons, who immediately responded, saying she'd see what she could do. A few months later Lyons announced the swimwear's triumphant return in a two-page New York ad with a sassy, handwritten note that reads, "Dear Ms. Avins, Your wish is my command ... within reason. XO Jenna."

It's an excellent example of a brand listening to and responding to the wishes of a loyal customer, buoyed by the PR boost of that customer being a writer for a high-profile publication. The only thing sad about it is that we, even those of us who are writers with decently large audiences, don't expect brands to actually listen.

So congrats, J.Crew, for being decent human beings who just couldn’t let a woman drown in a sea of shitty swimsuits.
I think it is great that J.Crew not only brought back this bathing suit, but included the back story in its ad. It is a cute touch!

Since this method worked once, I thought I too would try an open plea to J.Crew... Please, please, PRETTY PLEASE bring back the Cece Flat. I loathe the Emma Flats. The Emmas are no replacements for the Ceces. The Emmas look awful. The Emmas feel awful (as in majorly uncomfortable). The Cece Flats were the perfect mixture of sophistication, whimsy, and comfort. I cannot believe how much I miss the shoes! I have a feeling I am not in the minority on this either. So please, dump Emma and get back together with Cece. We can pretend like the whole fling with Emma never happened. :)

What are your thoughts on the article? What item would you like J.Crew to bring back? Please share! :)