Tuesday, July 1, 2014

J.Crew Now Offers XXXS {yeah size 000!}

"Thanks!" to Cousy & Ina Mack (in this post) who let us know that J.Crew is now offering size XXXS, also known as numeric size 000.

It is hard to imagine that a size 000 can even exist for retailers. However it is just an example of how much vanity sizing is still at play.

I also find it difficult to believe that I am smaller size-wise today than ten years ago, despite weighing slightly more. Every time I try a European sized item, I am reminded of my real size (although even the European retailers are vanity sizing more and more). I have often wondered if I am fitting into a size 0 and 2 myself, then what size do the real size 0 and 2 customers get, if they get the item at all.

I have no doubt that there are customers who rightly are size 000 in J.Crew's clothing selections. And its great that these customers' needs are finally being addressed. Many JCAs have even mentioned buying from the Crewcuts line because those clothes fit them (and are slightly cheaper too!)

However, I can't help but think the real answer to the size 000 is to not vanity size items anymore. Even though I know this intellectually, I remember all those times I was happy when I "fit" into a size 0. I am clearly guilty of buying into vanity sizing.

So... I don't think vanity sizing is going anywhere anytime soon. Maybe one day there will be a size XXXXS, numeric size 0000.

"Thanks!" to another JCA (I can't remember who, apologies about that!) who posted a comment on this blog about Capital Hill Style's "Discuss: J.Crew’s Downward Spiral Lands on Triple-Zero" post. A great discussion can be found over there on this very topic.

What are your thoughts on J.Crew's new 000 size offering? Do you think this is a good move for J.Crew? Please share!