Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Quilted Puffer Vest {Retail versus Factory!}

Both J.Crew and J.Crew Factory came out with Quilted Puffer Vests for their respective Fall 2014 collections. I thought it would be fun to break down the two versions and see which one JCAs like more. To borrow a phrase from GigisGoneShopping, a "smackdown!" of the two.


Excursion quilted vest (item B0109; $120.00)

J.Crew retail's current version is a copy of J.Crew retail's 2013 Excursion Vest. When it comes to sizing, it runs large for most customers. I am normally an extra small/size 2 and find the extra extra small fits best.

Pro
  • It has a side pocket in addition to the button covered pocket
  • Quality: It is always better from retail.
  • Color: Comes in both chartreuse and bright ivory this year. Both colors have not been done in vests before.
Con
  • Those gold snap buttons are not my favorite. I don't know what it is about them, but I am not a huge fan. Mind you, I do own two versions of this vest with the gold buttons.
  • The zipper is only one way. The two way zippers from 2012 are much easier to wear.
  • Limited number of colors this year. Last year, there were more choices. Not sure why this year there are only four. :(


Factory quilted puffer vest (item 92465; $98.00)

J.Crew Factory's current version is actually a copy of J.Crew retail's 2012 Excursion Vest. When it comes to sizing, same scenario as the retail version: size one down.

Pro
  • The side pockets are more streamlined with the vest. Plus, there are inside snaps on this version that help keep stuff inside. Awesome little feature! (The retail version from 2012 did not have inside snaps, nor did Factory's version from 2013.)
  • Quality: I compared this version with my vests from retail 2012 and could not tell the difference. 
  • Colors: The factory version comes in a lot more colors. Including red currant and olive moss, both of which have not been used before.
  • Two way zipper- love this! Enough said.
Con
  • Quality: It's from Factory. I can't tell the difference from the retail version, but I know J.Crew cut costs somewhere. I don't know where, but it's somewhere... ;)

From my comparisons above, it is clear that I am hearting the Factory version a bit more. It's not to say that I don't like the retail version. I do! I just think the Factory version wins out.

What are your thoughts on the puffer vests from retail J.Crew and J.Crew Factory? Do you have any additional pros or cons that you would add to the lists here? If so, please share! :)

Quick Poll: Which puffer vest do you adore?